Most customers begin their visit by enjoying a Train Ride of approximately one mile around Marine Lake in open or enclosed coaches.
On all peak days the train ride is hauled by a vintage steam locomotive and uses coaches which are themselves almost one hundred years old. Check out our timetable, which shows clearly when steam locomotives will be in use.
We have facilities to carry passengers in wheelchairs on our trains. Check out our Access Statement using the menu above.
Dogs are welcome at Central Station and can be carried on our trains free of charge providing that they are properly looked after by their owners.
After their train ride many visitors investigate our museum in the ‘Albert Barnes Room’ at Central Station
- Sit in driver’s seat of Billy the engine
- Audio Visual Touch screen presentation, movie presentations, childrens’ quiz etc.
- Signal levers to pull and signal bells to ring
- How a steam locomotive works
- Glass case display of vintage main line models
- Push the button, make the train go
- Vote for the most famous train
- Handling objects and rubbing table
If you want to stay a little longer and learn something of the unique natural environment at the site, visit the Marine Lake Nature and Heritage Trail, opened May 2011.
Our toilets are available for use free of charge, whether or not you ride on the train.
Before you leave, our ticket office also sells tea, coffee, soft drinks, ice cream and confectionery, as well as a good range of childrens’ gifts.
If you have any questions be sure to ask one of our friendly volunteer staff, who will be pleased to help.